About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Physical Transformation


I posted a comparison picture of myself of Facebook a few weeks ago and I noticed a lot of "friends" are sending me FB messages asking what I did to lose weight.  A lot of people who have known me since high school don't really recognize me on the street anymore because I lost so much weight, 75 pounds to be exact.


Now I have always been a "chunky" girl.  Since birth I've had thick legs, hips, etc.  As my Mommy likes to say I have a lot of Calhoun (My dad's side of the family were ALL the women have small waists, thick legs/hips) running through me.  It's funny because I can't recall any of my cousins having a weight issue.  During my childhood years I was teased because of my size.  I mean I WAS wearing adult-sized clothes by the time I reached 7th or 8th grade.  By that time I weighed in close to 160lbs!

I remember in high school people coming to the football games to see the "big girl" on the squad.  Although I had weight to me I could still move....my jumps were good, minus my Russian :-(  It really hurt me that I was still being teased about my weight in high school.  After my second year of cheer leading I quit.  I was tired of the jokes and the skirts were VERY short on me.  When I graduated high school I was well on my way to weighing 200lbs.  I ate what I wanted and the only exercise I got was through dancing on the weekends when I went clubbing.


I went to college wearing a size 18 and didn't think much about it.  Yea, everyone around me was small but I didn't give a damn.  I continued to eat what I wanted and hot much I wanted. Secretly, I wanted to be smaller but I had no idea where to begin.  I was still being teased and after a while I just stayed to myself.  I would hang with a few people, but I didn't go out in public.  By the end of my junior year I was about 227lbs and wearing a size 24!!!!


I went home for the summer and noticed my mom had lost a considerable amount of weight.  She told me she started kickboxing at this place called Top Shape Fitness and I should take a class with her.  I wasn't feeling it, but because it was my mommy I went.  Top Shape kicked my arse that first day!  George was HARD.  He   called me out when I wasn't doing the moves.  I only lasted about 35 mins before I quit.  My mom kept encouraging me to go, so I did.


One day after class the owner, George, pulled me aside and asked me what my goals were.  I explained I needed to lose weight but I thought I was going to be big forever.  He told me to stick with it and gave me some healthy eating tips.  I looked at that sheet with the "Ninja, you tripping" face.  He told me to change my eating habits and take some more classes so by the time I start my senior year of college I would be 15-20lbs lighter.  I did what he said and I got results!  It was funny to see the faces of classmates who picked on me.


Since that faithful summer I have been exercising and eating healthy.   I went from about 225lbs to a thick 152lbs.  I give credit to God, my mom, George and everyone who encouraged me!  My current regimen is working out six days a week and eating a low carb/fat diet.  I try to eat protein with every meal.  I try to stay away from fast foods and sweets since those are my weaknesses, but I do indulge from time to time.  I'm extremely active and wouldn't have it any other way.   

I'm very proud of my story and someday I hope to open a business in which I help people reach there healthy lifestyle goals.  It's not completely about the numbers on the scale, but more so about your overall health and how you feel inside.  It may have taken me years to shed the weight, but I feel AWESOME!!! #TeamFit all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment