About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Trayvon Martin


Let me start by saying I'm a very compassionate person, especially when it comes to young black men and women.  As a black women and younger sister to two black men I understand the plight and stereotypes we face in America.  Black women are seen as angry and black men are aggressive and up to no good.  If you see me on a normal day, dressed in a sweatsuits and 5 finger shoes, I may look angry to some because I don't always sport a smile.  My brothers have always been victims of racial profiling; especially the one who lives in Alabama.  With that being said the case of Trayvon Martin HURTS me deep down in my soul.

From all accounts this young 17 year old black male was walking back to a family home minding his business.  He wanted some candy and a soda.  While walking, wearing a hooded sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers; he caught the eye of George Zimmerman.  Why he caught Zimmerman's eye we will never know.  According to 911 calls, Zimmerman felt Trayvon seemed suspicious, on drugs. Zimmerman is recorded telling the 911 dispatcher that Trayvon was "checking him out" and those "a$$holes always get away". What "a$$holes" was he referring too? Black men? Seventeen year olds? Guys wearing hooded sweatshirts? I really want to know!

We all know the rest of the story.  Zimmerman follows Trayvon despite being told NOT too by, essentially disobeying a lawful order and at some point parks his SUV, grabs a loaded hand gun, gets out of the car and finds Trayvon.  A fight ensues and Zimmerman shoots Trayvon in the chest, killing him.  A single shot.  Police come, he claims self defense and the police let him go.  That was almost a month ago and he has yet to be arrested.

This story troubles me for several reasons.  The first reason is very selfish.  I have an 11 year old nephew who could look suspicious to some.  He about 5'4 and weights 165 lbs.  Big boy, no doubt.  I'm sure if he was walking down the street he might have caught Zimmerman's eye.  Situations like this make me want to hug him closer, not let him out of my sight.  I'm not sure if I will let him walk to the basketball court by himself this weekend.  Or down to the corner store two blocks away.  I can't risk something, anything, happening to the my preteen.  He is like a son to me, has been since the day he was born. 

Another reason this story is so troubling is because of the way the shooter is being treated.  We all know Zimmerman shot Trayvon, he admits that.  But the police didn't do any drug testing, bring him in for questioning, take witness statements verbatim, etc.  It seems like they arrived, took his "self defense" excuse as scripture and let it go.  They didn't ask why did you still follow him after the dispatcher told you not too.  They didn't ask why he got out of his SUV.  They didn't ask why he got out of the SUV with his handgun. They didn't ask if he saw Trayvon commit a crime which is why he seemed suspicious.  They didn't ask ANYTHING!!!!! That's NOT right.  I really don't want to believe they treated him like that because of the color of his skin and the color of Trayvon's.  As a society we are pass that.........At least I thought.  What if during the scuffle Trayvon somehow got Zimmerman's gun and shot him.  Would he be sitting in jail?? I'm sure of it!

It's sad that we have to add Travyon Martin's name to the list of young black males killed for NO reason at all.  It is my hope that as a country we stand together to bring those who kill people in cold blood, regardless of race, to justice.  It shouldn't matter if the defendant is a police officer, regular citizen, Neighborhood Watch Captain, etc.  Justice is Justice.  Today I wear my hoodie, jeans and sneakers.  I just pray I don't catch the eye of someone like Zimmerman. 

RIP Trayvon Martin.

******************************UPDATE*******************************
So my 11 year old nephew is now afraid to walk outside.  I asked him if he wanted to walk to the store Sunday morning to get some milk and he responded "no thanks."  I asked him why and he explained that it was cold outside and all he had was a hoodie.  That broke my heart! Here he is, 11 years old and he doesn't want to go outside.  I live in a predominately white neighborhood.  My neighbors have seen my nephew before, he loves playing outside and can be very friendly.  To get to the store he would have to walk by/through another neighborhood and I think that is what has him scared. 

In related news, I now understand why is mom doesn't let him cross the street, walk to the playground, etc by himself.  For the longest I thought she was being over protective, but I realized she is just looking out for her son.  She doesn't want anything to happen to him while "walking home".  I didn't agree with her at first, but now I do.  There will be no more going outside or to the basketball court by himself.  He will have an adult with him at all times.  Can't let NOTHING happen to my baby.  He is my heart!  Part of the reason I breathe and work everyday.  Gotta grind to give him a future!

We Are Trayvon Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment