About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Friday, May 6, 2011

My Mini Me

Although I don’t have children of my own I find myself drawn to children of all ages.  Now I have two nieces, two nephews and a little brother.   But I also have around four God children and a host of nieces and nephews who are of no relation.  I treat these children as if they were my own and support them in any way I can.  I buy shoes, gifts, school supplies; attend special events and provide adult guidance when needed. 
A few weeks ago while attending my weekly DanceWorks class in Columbia I met a 14 year old girl named A.  I’m not sure what it was, but we took to each other instantly and by the end of class everyone was calling her my “mini me.”   She loves to dance, very smart, watches football/basketball and has a quick mouth J  Yea, she is just like me!   She even forgets to take the tags off her clothes like me, lol.  My mom said she acts the same way I did when I was her age. 
Mini Me asked me for my cell phone number to keep in touch.  I figured she was just being friendly, as I was at that age, but she was serious.  In the few weeks since we met we have developed something like a big/little sister relationship.   She calls and texts me about school, friends, dance, etc.   Just the other night we were discussing Dwight Howard, whom we both think is VERY attractive.  She was saying she was going to come with me to NBA All-Star weekend so she can see our “boo.”  That is soooo funny to me.  Anyway, when the magic were losing in game 6 of the NBA playoffs she sent me a text message saying Howard needed to step up and play before they lose the series.  The funny thing was I was about to text her with the same message.  When the game was over I sent her a text saying I was going to Orlando to comfort Howard and she responded I was really her “Big Me” J
Guess I have another child to add to my list.  She is the oldest, so this will be a little different.  I can already see her asking to stay at my house, go shopping, etc.  It makes me happy to play a positive role in the life of a teenager when the society has so many bad role models. 

No comments:

Post a Comment