About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

She is NOT Her Hair

"I am not my hair, I am not this skin....I am not your expectations no, no. I am not my hair, I am not this skin.....I am a soul that lives within" - India.Irie

Every four years society is treated to the Olympic games, in which the best atheletes from around the world compete in 26 different sporting events. The Games include several ranging from basketball to water polo to fencing to swimming to vollyball (team and beach). My overall favorite is the men/women's gymnastic competition.

The sheer strenth, flexibility, and grace of the gymnists have ALWAYS amazed me. When I was a child, I would flip around in the living room trying to mimic the moves. I loved seeing women who looked like me compete on a global stage. This year we were treated to viewing the talents on Gabby Douglas. The lone African American on the female team. She wasn't highly touted like her other team members. It wasn't until she shined in the various events to help Team USA win the Gold that the media started talking about her and her story.

After she made history by being the first US woman to will the All-Around competition, the "crab in a barrel" mentality reared it's ungly head. On social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook, black women were complaining about her hair! Not that she made history and is a positive role model for young girls, but her hair.  Not that she is a God fearing teenager, but her hair. Not that she showed how hard work and sacrifice can pay off, but her hair!

I was BEYOND pissed that society wanted to take away from her shining moment. This young lady is competing against the best of the best from other countries and we show our support by discussing her hair. While she is making history, "black Twitter" was complaining that her mother should be shot for letting her go on national television in some way.

I find it funny that Gabby didn't let her "hair" get in the way of achieving her dreams. Yet, black women sit around EVERYDAY being unhealthy because they don't want to mess up their hair! Yes, their hair is fly, but there health is NOT! I salute Gabby for not entertaining the negative talk and being who God created her to be. She is NOT her hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment