About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Bargining........

So my real life kindred sister-friend wrote a FANTASTIC blog on negotiating/renegotiating in relationships that took me to church!!  I was “tabernacling” all at my desk. 
She wrote, "You need to find out what that person needs and wants from you, and you need to express your needs and wants. You should praise them for the great things they do, and respectfully explain the not so nice things you don't like, and let that person do the same. And if things are changing, say so. If things are going in a weird direction you don't like, say so. There should be no fear in speaking your mind respectfully in your relationship. You want that person to be happy and they should want you to be happy. Everyone needs updated information to do their jobs properly."  
Hmmmmmm.  Have I always provided updated information for my “employee” to do his job effectively?
No.  I haven’t. 
In my past three relationships I’ve been a bad manager at some point or another.  I placed expectations on them and “they ain’t e’vn know it”.  Because of my negligence, they were not able to live up to those unknown expectations.
Over the past two years, I’ve learned that I need to negotiate and renegotiate in a relationship.  Outline, in detail, what I want and am willing to accept.
The blog also stated something along the lines of “don’t put your relationship on automatic renewal.” 
I chuckled to myself because each month I would text the last young man that I dated and ask if he wanted to renew his subscription.  What I (we) failed to do was negotiate the terms of the original contract and subsequent renewals.
As I am navigating my way through this new-aged dating scene, I understand that I cannot accept just any offer. 
I have a general idea of how much I should be making and I am not willing to accept ANYTHING less!


I know my value. 
I know my worth! 


1 comment: