About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Repeated Commencements

Last night I watched my “mean girl” walk across the stage as a Long Reach High School graduate.  Her commencement was nice.  Three hundred and eighty-two young men and women took a step towards the beginning of their lives.  Some have plans to attend college/university; others are entering the workforce via the armed forces.
As the speaker, a 2004 Long Reach graduate, delivered a short, but powerful message to the graduating class I begin to reflect on what commencement really meant. 
Merriam-Webster defines commencement as to enter upon; to have or make a beginning. 
How many commencements have I had?  From an academic standpoint, not including kindergarten, elementary/middle school, I’ve commenced 4 times. 
In 1999, I graduated from Howard High School. 
In 2004, I graduated from High Point University. 
In 2006, I graduated from Bowie State University.
In 2011; I graduated from University of Maryland. 
That is a lot of “beginnings”…A LOT! 
As the speaker continued, I could not help but to reflect on the non-academic beginnings I’ve had.  The commencements without all of the pomp and circumstance.  The times when I made up in my mind that I needed a fresh start....A new beginning. 
In 206, my new beginning focused on building a love life for myself.  I entered into a committed relationship.
In 2009, my commencement was engagement.  I was planning my family life.
In 2011, my new beginning focused on healing.  My heart was broken and I had to heal/rebuild.
In 2013, my commencement has been geared towards restoration.  There are some things (physical, spiritual, mental and material) I would like to be restored to me.
I honestly think the constant beginning is a good thing….at least for me.  As we grow older, we change and start new chapters in our lives.  We strive to reach our goals and REALLY pursue our interests.  We realize there are some people/situations we have to leave behind, even though it may be painful.
For every closed door, another will open.  This restoration commencement is allowing me to come into my own.  I’m more vocal about what I will/will not accept.  I do the things that make me smile.  I’m learning more about the soul within me.  The seed that was planted long ago is finally starting to sprout from the concrete. 
Beyonce pinned it best in her new song Grown Woman, "it took a while, now I understand just where I'm going. Now I'm growing into who I am.....'Bout time I show it!" 

Let the commencement begin!!!



2 comments: