About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Unequal Death

*Sigh* I really hate to write about the same topic twice in one week, but I feel the need to address what's going on in Chicago from another perspective.

On Friday, 20 Jul 12, the unthinkable happened in a small Colorado town just miles from the tragic Columbine Massacre.  A 24 year old gunman opened fire in a PACKED movie theater as patrons watched the beginning of the newest Batman film.

When it was all said and done, 12 individuals died and over 70 others were injured.  The youngest victim was only 3 months old.  Three young men took bullets for their girlfriends.  Parents took bullets for their children.

Naturally, there was media EVERYWHERE!!  Celebrities tweeting their condolences.  NFL players calling and paying visits to the survivors.  The various law enforcement agencies working day and night to get into this man's apartment.

After my initial shock, my mind could not help but wonder where is that same level of urgency for the citizens of Chicago.  Where were the celebrity tweets? NFL player visits? Media attention?  Law enforcement working around the clock?

It hurts me to my heart that the senseless killings in Colorado seem to be more important than the same type of senseless killings in Chicago.  In both cases, innocent lives were loss.  In both cases, communities are devastated.  But both cases are not being treated fairly. *Sigh*

When will we as a society view senseless killings the same?  When will we unite as a country to protect the people that live in it.  When will we as a country cherish every life?  When will we all come together to stop the violence?

No comments:

Post a Comment