About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Heaters

I am a firm believer that the crime rate is lower in the winter across the nation.  When watching the nightly news or reading national news online there seems to be less killings.  Perhaps it's because murders don't like cold, rainy weather or perhaps they are too busy watching sports or preparing for the holidays or are in school.  I have no clue.

It seems once the weather heats up, folks bring out the heaters.  Over the past few weeks, especially in Chicago, there has been a tremendous increase in shootings.  So many young, innocent men and women losing their lives for nothing.

It makes me wonder, will the mass amount of murders ever stop? Why are the crimes being committed in the first place? What are the police doing? Where are the parents? Mentors? National media outrage?

Late last month a 10 year old girl was caught in the cross fire of a gun fight. Some 275 people have been murdered in all.  It was then that the Mayor addressed the prooblem in an interview.   His main objective was to blame it on the gangs.  He and his team need to adress why there are so many young people in gangs to begin with.

It seems that majority of the killings are due to gangs. There is debate on which Police Chief has the best policies, but no debate on the REAL reason behind the foolishness. Perhaps there is so much violence because of the culture in the area. Or maybe there are so many young adults who feel the only way to solve a problem is by killing. Or maybe some want to go to jail because they know they will have access to food, shelter, education.

As a young, black woman I feel for the area, our children.  Parents losing their child(ren) to foolishness.  The question I find myself asking is what can I do? I live a few thousand miles away, how can I effect change in that area?  I'm not exactly sure, but I am going to research some options.  This foolishness needs to STOP.  Even if that includes electing different officials who care.

Sending prayers up to all of those affected by the horrific events unfolsing in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment