About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Real Life Racey

The past few days have been difficult for me for some odd reason.  I seem to be in a funk and I cannot figure out why.

I mean I'm blessed to have a good, government job.


A roof over my head.


My car works fine.


My family is doing well.


My body is taking shape....well it was until this funk and the munchies hit, lol


But that is a post for another time....another day!


I decided to take a couple of "mental health" days while I try to get myself together.  


While I've been home, I've been watching the youtube web-series the Unwritten Rules.  


The series is based on the book, "40 Hours and an Unwritten Rule: The Diary of a Nigger, Negro, Colored, Black, African-American Woman" by Kim Williams.  The web series examines the comedic realities of a black co-worker in a predominantly white workplace.  I think I need to pick up that book.


What's funny is all of the various scenarios they have "Racey" in, I've also found myself in those situations...except for, the "crimes" were committed mostly by older black women, lol.  


I'm not the only black female at my job, but I am the youngest black female...who happens to work in the Civil Rights office.....with the highest ranking black female in the entire organization.


Yea, that alone makes me feel like I have eyes watching my every move.  Like "Racey", older black women have asked me about my hair when I decided to go natural.  I remember when I got kinky twists, at least two of them wanted to touch them.  


I guess because I am younger, they assume I'm supposed to know what "hip" and whatnot.  I can't count the number of times my supervisor has asked about a song or a particular celebrity.  I've been asked to help pick out gifts for her younger family members. 

Don't get me wrong, my white co-workers have also asked to touch my hair or asked about the latest dance moves or wanted to taste "soul food"....sorry to say it, but I expect that from them.

 In any event, I can relate to "Racey" and all of the things she has experienced.  Not just at the hands of white people, but all races.   I'm looking forward to the next season.




  



1 comment: