About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Running On Memorial Day.......

We Ready To Run This Thang!
Yesterday morning I did something I was suppose to do last year, but couldn't because I was in Las Vegas celebrating my birthday.  I ran in the Marine Corps Veteran Education Center 5/10K with my best friend Pook.  This was my first time running in the event and Paul's second.  We both got into running last year for different reasons thanks to a mutual friend.  The plan in 2011 was for the three of us to run it together, but things didn't pan out.

I almost missed this year's race since he didn't tell me he was running it again; I found out via his blog, lol.  That's actually how I find out  a lot of things.  Since I knew I would be in town and I wanted to spend some quality bff time with him I decided to enter.  Now he had been training for about a month, so I knew I needed to get on the ball.  I couldn't have him beat me...I'm too competitive for that.  I trained for about two weeks; running 2 miles twice a week.

Back to yesterday.......

He picked me up around 6:45am and we hit the highway towards Baltimore.  As always, we chatted it up about the happenings in our lives.  We arrived in downtown Baltimore around 7:15am.  Of course he had to put on his running shoes, takes off a layer of clothes and lock everything down.  While he was doing that we kept seeing event participants running around.  We had to look at the clock to ensure we didn't miss anything.  We surmised they were the serious crowd and were warming up. 

We walked to the registration area so I could register, get my number, shirt and running chip.  To my surprise, we also got a goodie bag.  It was filled with pretzels, peanut butter crackers, and some discount card to a bike store.  I tossed mine and headed to the start line.  We were late due to me completing the registration paperwork. :-(  The workers encouraged us to get started.

We started running 7 mins and 15 secs into the race.  I first half mile was very interesting because we had no idea which way to go and Baltimore City police were not that helpful.  The was a couple following us and we all determined to stay together until we figured out the rest.  We were all going to get lost together, lol. 

Pook and I ran the same pace and of course engaged in pushing in shoving each other during the first mile.  We can be big kids at time, lol.  Once we passed the mile marker it seemed as if we both were in our own worlds.  Every now and again we would look at each other to make sure we were good.  Pook has a shin injury and of course I have asthma and a heart condition, lol. 

We ran along the Inner Harbor and the surrounding area before we reached the turnaround point.  We seemed to be keeping good time.  It took us about 20 mins to run 2 miles.  Not bad for two 31 year olds, lol.  We kept up the pace...until we reached the hill.  I swear it seemed as if my legs were going to give out on me.  I had started shuffle running.  I was 2 seconds away from telling Pook I would meet him at the finish line because I needed to walk, lol.  But then.....................

Expressions Have Changed...TIRED!
The course made a right turn and I could see the finish line.  There was NO way I was going to stop a quarter of mile away.  Nope!  I asked God to push me through and He did.  With the finish line in sight, we both picked up the pace.  It was no time to quit.  We crossed the finish line ar 37 mins and 42 secs.  I think I crossed before Pook did...I won, lol.  If you subtract 7 mins and 15 secs since we started late, our official running time should be about 30 mins and 27 seconds!  I pray that is the case when the official times are released.   My goal was to run the entire race in less than 33 mins. 

After the race we drank some water, walked around a bit and headed to the car.  Next stop....BREAKFAST!  We headed to Eggspectation's for a nice healthy breakfast after a good run.  We ordered the same thing, Chesapeake omelets with grilled potatoes and toast.  We chatted about the race and stuff in general.  2016 may prove to be an important year, lol. As always, it was a good time.  We clowned in the packing lot and he dropped me off.

Gotta say, we need to hang out more often because we always have fun.  I'm mad I missed out on last year's race, but we are scheduled to Run of Our Lives on the 27th of Oct.  I can't wait :-)

2 comments:

  1. I think the Caribbean Sounds 5k in Rock Creek Park (this July) will be the next race for me, hopefully the weather cooperates as well as it did this past Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, that sounds like fun. I will have to check that out. Perhaps we can run together again.

      Delete