About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Workplace Attire

Since I started working with the federal government the topic of workplace attire has always interested me. Let me start by saying there is no written policy on attire or grooming standards for federal civilian employees, however there seems to be an unwritten rule on what is acceptable.....and it seems to differ based on supervisor, job location, agency, etc. 

This morning I went to drop off a report to my supervisor and she noticed my Easter themed nails. She asked me "If I was the First Lady of the United States would I wear my nails like that?" My nails are very bright this week to celebrate the holiday, but I didn't think there was anything wrong with them. She went on to say how I need to "turn the corner" and be more professional with my nails, hair, clothes, etc. Please understand my nails are always manicured and neat. My hair is natural, but I never wear an afro, twistout, etc into work.  The styles are always "professional" styles such as buns, french rolls, etc. As for my clothing I tend to wear larger pants to work because I work on a military installation and I don't like the comments/looks I receive when I wear clothes that fit.  It seems when I wear dresses or pants that fit properly most of the males comment about my legs or that I look "nice".  Hell, I've even been told "nice view!"  That is NOT the type of stuff I want to hear at work.

There are three other agencies located in my work building and it seems that each agency has a different workplace attire policy.  It's funny I can tell what agency a person works for and what side of the building he/she works on based on what they are wearing.  In the summer time the females have on booty shorts and hooker heels, as my mom likes to say.  Others have on whole suits with stockings!!!  **I know they are hot as hell!  As for my agency, depending on your division you can wear jeans, flip flops, t-shirts, etc.  As for me, I have to stay in a suit or coordinate everyday.  There are no "dress down" days for me.  Even when I come to work on my day off or a travel day I am required to be workplace attire. 

Now back to the conversation between my supervisor and I.  I wish she would explain "turn the corner".  I really feel as though how my nails are painted, my hair is style, etc has no impact on the stellar work I complete everyday.  It doesn't matter if I'm wearing a moo-moo or slacks.....afro or relaxer....bright nails or a french manicure, I'm still a subject matter expert in my field and nothing will change that.

What are your thoughts on workplace attire?



2 comments:

  1. Let me 1st start by saying that your boss sounds like a dick... or perhaps that's something she could use a bit more of in her life, lol. Now allow me to qualify that by saying that since I know you personally, I'm VERY confident that you would never wear anything in the workplace that would cause one to question your professionalism, unless he/she was be over the top in their judgement of you. Besides, fingernail color - really???

    Fuck her... lol.

    As for my personal thoughts on a woman's attire in the workplace, I guess I'm cool with anything outside of those lil' slack-shorts chix get away with nowadays at work (hell, I got a pair of slack shorts - that shit wouldn't fly for me, lol), any 'generous' offerings of cleavage, and of course those SUPER-tight slacks that are about to bust at the seems. While I greatly enjoy the sight of such in the street, I wouldn't find it appropriate in the office. So those are my meaningless 2 cents :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a fool! Lol @ her needing some dick in her life. I actually agree from time to time. Yes, she loves to tell me what she feels I should wear to work, although no on eelse has said anything to me about my clothing/nails.

      Delete