About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

One is Silver and the Other's Gold

My Girls and I ;-) We are always the best dressed where ever we go!
"No new friends, no new friends, no new friends, no, no new" - Drake

Oh, Drake seems to be a poor, misguided soul at times (remember YOLO!).  Earlier this year, the famed DJ Khaled produced a song entitled No New Friends featuring Drake, Lil Wayne and Rick Ross.

The premise of the track is only remaining friends to those who have been with you from day 1.

The folks that were in the trenches with you.

I personally don't understand or agree with this new mantra.  As individuals, we change, and in some cases grow.  If two people are changing/growing in opposite directions then what is the point in remaining friends with him/her?

I understand that building a friendship, a good friendship, takes time and effort from both individuals.  As we get older and gain more responsibility, we may not have as much free time to make new friends.  We may not want to open ourselves up to new ideas and new people.

That's BS!  By not opening ourselves up to new experiences, etc we are stunting our growth.  We are not allowing ourselves to reach or full potential.

In the past year or two, I've gone against Drake's wisdom and have made new friends.  These young ladies and gentleman have played integral roles in my recovering and growth from a traumatic situation.

One young lady has soothed my crying heart with prayer and Christian wisdom.  She has provided me advice, at times when I don't ask for it, which has helped me heal.  She has become like a big sister to me.

Another young lady has literally walked a mile in my shoes.  Our experiences are almost exactly the same. Through her blog posts and gentle words, she has aided in my healing process.  She has opened my eyes to doing new things.  We have laughed and cried together.  Danced and shopped together.  She is truly one on my closet friends.

Another young lady has gotten me out of the house.  She has shown me that I didn't miss out on the "best years of my life" because I was playing the wifey role.  She encourages me to "do me" and live life.  When we go out, it is ALWAYS a good time.

My new gentleman friend has been through two divorces and lived a long life.  He always reminds me to believe in myself and trust God's plan..even when I don't feel like it.

If I had followed to Drake's wisdom, then I would have missed out on SO many great people and experiences that have enhanced my life.

I'm lucky enough to have been a Girl's Scout when I was younger.  One of our favorite songs to sing was Make New Friends.  I'm truly thankful I'm living up to the Girl's Scout honor!



1 comment:

  1. Hurrah for new friends!!! Let Drake turn 30 and realize a whole bunch of folks had to go because you grew apart and you need new folks who understand where you are trying to be and drama free!

    ReplyDelete