About Me

My photo
Just a young lady trying to leave a memorable championship game in the lives of those I encounter. I work and play hard, giving everything I got.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Slow Down

Sometimes you gotta be still...take some time to clear your space. 
                                                                                            - India.Arie

I am constantly on the move. From the time I awaken each morning until I finally close my eyes to go to sleep, my mind and body is constantly on the go.   I head into the office, visit co-workers, handle complaints and take care of whatever else I need to do.  Once I clock out, I hot tail it to the gym because U feel like I HAVE to workout daily.  After my hour and a half to two hour workout, I go run errands.  I can go anywhere from the grocery store to the mall.  Once home, I cook, clean, shower and prepare for the next day.   By the time I lay myself down my mind, body and spirit is beat; but still running a mile a minute.

I rarely take time out for myself, for self care.  I don't stop and smell the roses...tend to my own garden because I'm too worried tending to others.  Removing their weeds, soothing their wounds, teaching them a new lesson.  

A few weeks ago a good Twitter friend sent me a text asking if I was still running myself into the ground. I chuckled at his question because I hadn't spoken with him in months, however, from our previous brief conversations,  he knows me.   A couple of days later, this same Twitter friend tweeted something along the lines of "Slow down before you kill yourself."  Feeling guilty I tweeted him back and told him to @ me next time.
  
Yes, I know I need to tend to my own emotional, physical, and physical needs, but I'm too busy being SuperWoman.  I feel the need to save the world, then I'll tend to myself.   I honestly don't know how to tend to my own needs......and that's sad.  

I'm so busy trying to run from my past that I fail to live in the present and unintentionally disrupt my future.   Perhaps I'm waiting for someone else to tend to my needs.  Someone to make me a priority.  What's stupid about that thought process is if EYE (misspelled on purpose) don't make myself a priority, then how can I expect someone else to do so.  

My new goal is to remove my cape and tend to the wounds I've ignored for years.  If I'm needed I'll still put on my vest with the "S" on my chest....but only AFTER I tend to myself.  A broken person can't be much help to another broken person.



1 comment: